13 Nov Food & Wine Friday: French Onion Soup And Wine
This Week In Food & Wine: French Onion Soup & Wine
Enjoyable food made healthy! Here is a simply delicious French Onion soup recipe with whole-grain cheese toast and wine to try for the weekend! The way we see it friends, indulgent foods are a must during the cozy days of winter but it doesn’t mean they have to give you the added stress and guilt of being unhealthy! So because we want your friendship for many years to come, here’s a dish that will make you and your tummy grin with a health conscious and satisfied smile!
Without further ado, here is your French Onion Soup Recipe with Whole-Grain Cheese Toast. With a cook & prep time of 1 Hour, this soup recipe serves 4.
- 1 Table spoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- ¼ Cup of dry white wine
- 1 Table spoon of soy sauce
- 6 Cups of beef stock or low sodium broth
- 4 ½ inch thick slices of whole grain baguette
- ¼ Cup of shredded Gruyere cheese
- First, in a large cast iron casserole, heat the oil until there is a shimmer to it.
- Then, add the onions and cook over moderate heat while occasionally stirring and until the onions are softened and starting to brown.
- Now add a generous pinch of salt and continue to cook over moderately low heat. You will continue this process until the onions begin to now appear to be soft and golden.
- Once this is done you will add the wine and soy sauce to the casserole and continue to cook over moderate heat until evaporated.
- Having done this you will then add the stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer the onion broth until it is well flavored and slightly reduced. Feel free to season with salt as desired.
- While waiting for reduction, preheat the broiler and arrange the bread on a baking sheet.
- Once arranged, you will then place 1 tablespoon of Gruyere cheese on top of each piece of toast.
- Once ready, broil the toast approximately six inches from the heat until the cheese is melted and is starting to brown. This should take approximately 2 minutes.
- Now just remove and begin serving! To serve properly, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the whole grain cheese toast and that’s it!
Here are our Grape Certified wine recommendations:
Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Vineyard Viognier 2012 ($23)
Wine Rating: Grape Certified Platinum
Best White Wines of the Year – 2014
Wine Rating: Grape Certified Silver
We hope you enjoyed this Friday’s food & wine pairing. We’re confident you’ll enjoy today’s Grape Certified wine recommendations and our French onion soup recipe! If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like it above and join the discussion by leaving a rating and a comment below. Thanks and we’ll see you next week for another edition of Wine Wednesday and Food & Wine Friday. Cheers!