27 Nov Food & Wine Friday: Bacon, Tomato and Asparagus Pizza and Wine
This Week In Food & Wine: A Simple Bacon, Tomato and Asparagus Pizza Recipe and Wine
We know what you must be thinking, “I love bacon, but I’m not sure about the asparagus!” Believe us when we say, you’ll be amazed by the flavors and how well they complement each other. Besides, bacon makes everything taste better! Add some amazing wine suggestions and you’ve got a party happening in your mouth, belly and brain! With a prep & cook time of 45 minutes, let’s get started.
With all of the amazing flavors, including fresh veggies, bacon and two cheeses, the book on wine pairing is wide open here. Because of this were not going to suggest anything crazy, as the following (very reliable) varietals will provide that wow factor we’re looking for. They are Tempranillo, Zinfandel and Syrah. With hints of sweet, jam-like fruits (i.e. cherries, blue & black berries and raspberries) and rich but balanced finishes, these grape varietals will complement the variety of ingredients in this dish. By all means though, feel free to experiment and let us know what you find. Getting back to the wine, try our Grape Certified wine suggestions (see below).
Ok, let’s not keep you from your beloved Bacon, Tomato and Asparagus Pizza and wine any longer! Go ahead and pour yourself and your guests a glass of wine and let’s get down to business. Enjoy your delicious Bacon, Tomato and Asparagus Pizza.
- 7 crispy slices of bacon crumbled into pieces. If you’re thinking you can use bacon bits, you’re right but fresh, home cooked bacon adds an unmistakable flavor experience you won’t soon forget.
- 1 unbaked pizza crust
- 1 pound of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 sliced asparagus pieces (Personal Preference Here)
- 1 cup of sliced cherry, roma or grape tomatoes
- 1 – 11 ounce log of goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread your pizza crust out on a baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Top your crust with the bacon crumbles, mozzarella cheese, asparagus and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on the goat cheese and season with black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Now place that delicious looking pie in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown on the underside.
- Remove your freshly baked, golden brown pie and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice, serve and enjoy! Bon Appetit!
Here are our Grape Certified wine recommendations:
Wine Rating: Grape Certified Gold Medal – 2014
Best Red Wines Under $20 – 2015
Wine Rating: Grape Certified Silver Medal – 2014
Best Wines Under $30 – 2015
We hope you enjoyed this Friday’s food & wine pairing. We’re confident you’ll enjoy today’s Grape Certified wine recommendations and our simple Bacon, Tomato and Asparagus Pizza Recipe and wine! If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like it above and join the discussion by leaving a rating and a comment below. Thanks and we’ll see you next week for another edition of Wine Wednesday and Food & Wine Friday. Cheers!